West Fraser is a leading forest products company in North America. Our goals are straightforward – leadership through profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products.
Our Hinton Pulp Division is seeking individuals with a strong technical, organization and interpersonal skills to fill the position of:
Reporting to the Environmental & Technical Superintendent, the successful candidate will directly supervise the main laboratory for quality, process and environmental testing consisting of 10 hourly employees. The successful candidate will be responsible for the direct supervision of hourly employees; laboratory safety; quality, process, and environmental procedures; reporting of results to internal and external organizations, and laboratory quality control and assurance programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Schedule and supervise day to day work activities of laboratory personnel assigned to laboratory testing.
- Be responsible for quality control and quality assurance programs for quality, process and environmental testing in the main lab and process area labs.
- Maintain ISO 17025 Certification and assist with ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 certification as required
- Update and maintain quality, process, and environmental testing procedures for the main lab and process area labs. Help ensure safety and testing procedures are being followed in all mill labs.
- Oversee environmental performance, data collection, monitoring and reporting of the environmental areas assigned (Effluent and Groundwater)
- Prepare environmental reports/ correspondence to regulatory agencies
- Be conversant with regulations, procedures, licenses, and approvals governing Hinton Pulp in respect to the environment
- Liaise with maintenance, operations, and technical departments regarding quality, environmental and process matters
- Define pertinent capital and expense projects to enhance environmental control and enhance process and quality testing mill in the main lab
- Daily review/ troubleshooting of mill environmental, quality and process issues.
- Cover for other technical department staff personnel as required
The successful candidate must:
- Have relevant post-secondary, including a degree or diploma program in chemistry, environment or a related field.
- Have several years of experience in an analytical lab with strong knowledge in testing, analytical instruments and lab equipment
- Previous experience in pulp and paper or other manufacturing industries is considered an asset
- Possess supervisory experience in an industrial or laboratory setting and have demonstrated leadership ability
- Have experience with the development of process and environmental laboratory procedures. Experience with ISO 17025 is considered an asset.
- Be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form with all levels of the organization
- Be highly organized with analytical and computer skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Possess a desire to progress, learn and succeed.
- Embody the West Fraser traits of integrity, respect, humility, hard work, and frugality
Our employees drive our success. We believe in providing opportunities for growth and advancement and are looking for someone who wants to build their career in our company. In addition to competitive wages and benefits, Hinton Pulp offers a stable, rewarding career. Hinton Pulp also offers an attractive relocation package.
We are located in Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park, and 2½ hours west of Edmonton. Hinton, set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, is a modern community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families. Relocation assistance is available.
Our region is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, with exciting activities from skiing, snowmobiling, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and ATV’s. Hinton features a full-service acute care hospital, major retail and restaurant chains, community parks and pools, educational institutions for pre-school through post-secondary. To learn more, visit the Town of Hinton Web site: www.town.hinton.ab.ca.
Interested applicants should apply online by sending their resume, cover letter, and transcripts/proof of qualifications in confidence. To apply, click on our job ad at www.westfraser.com/jobs and then click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at: www.westfraser.com/jobs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.