West Fraser is a leading forest products company in North America. Our goals are straightforward – leadership through profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products.
Our Hinton Pulp Division is seeking individuals with strong technical, leadership, planning, organization and interpersonal skills to fill the following position:
TECHNICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL SUPERINTENDENT – TEMPORARY MATERNITY COVERAGE
The Technical and Environmental Superintendent is an advanced level position within the Hinton Pulp technical department and reports to the Technical Manager. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with Provincial and Federal environmental regulations; supervision and direction of environmental and technical department staff; and liaising with other mills, government and industry associates with respect to environmental issues and opportunities. The areas of responsibility for the technical department include water treatment (including potable water), effluent treatment, and the main lab for environmental and quality testing.
- Ensure HIP compliance with Provincial and Federal Regulations and act as the primary contact with external agencies in regards to regulatory requirements.
- Supervision and direction of all staff in the environmental and technical department, salaried and hourly.
- Responsible for overall department safety program, department budget (annual, capital and expense planning) and environmental reporting internally and externally.
- Environmental reporting includes monthly and annual reports under the provincial approval, incident reports, federal reporting and greenhouse gas reporting.
- Ensure communication of environmental performance within Hinton Pulp and West Fraser and assist with troubleshooting both environmental and process issues.
- Manage mill compliance with the ISO 14001 environmental management standard.
- Understand current environmental standards and polices and staying up to date on changing policies both within West Fraser , external government agencies and other organizations.
- Provide relief as required for the technical manager.
The successful candidate must have:
- Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Science with an environmental or chemical focus.
- Experience with provincial and federal environmental compliance requirements and legislation.
- Strong technical, leadership, budgeting and problem solving skills.
- Good organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and team building skills.
- The desire to progress, learn, grow and succeed.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an industrial environment is considered a strong asset.
- Level 3 potable water certification or ability to obtain certification is a short period of time is desirable.
We are located in Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park, and 2½ hours west of Edmonton. Hinton, set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, is a modern community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families. Relocation assistance is available.
Our region is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, with exciting activities from skiing, snowmobiling, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and ATV’s. Hinton features a full-service acute care hospital, major retail and restaurant chains, community parks and pools, educational institutions for pre-school through post-secondary. To learn more, visit the Town of Hinton Web site: www.town.hinton.ab.ca.
Interested applicants should apply online by sending their resume, cover letter, and transcripts/proof of qualifications in confidence. To apply, click on our job ad at www.westfraser.com/jobs and then click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries please.