What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities, and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
This position reports to the Finishing and Shipping Team Leader in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. The Grande Prairie mill is a 1000+ tonne per day Northern Bleached Softwood Kraft pulp mill. It currently operates with approximately 320 mill employees in a high performance, results-oriented environment.
This role is responsible for safely producing a quality product that our customers cannot live without having.
- Follow the 12 hours compressed workweek schedule (shift work)
- Flexibility to work overtime to provide shift coverage, attend business meetings and necessary training.
- Training and support for site firefighting services.
- Commitment to attain, maintain and apply Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) skills
- Commitment to attain, maintain and apply all Dry End process skills.
- Operate forklift
- Operate a locomotive.
- Perform lab tests
- Perform switchman duties in a rail yard.
- Able to perform physically demanding work.
- Acquire secondary skills and apply them where needed. (flow to work)
- Perform basic maintenance tasks
All candidates are encouraged to discuss the EMR and Fire Fighting roles with the Site Loss Control Coordinator before applying to ensure they fully understand what is involved in these roles.
- Ability to meet all Team Norms and Standards with a focus on active participation in safety programs.
- Behavior consistent with the Safety Vision and Policy and the Site Principles
- Perform leadership and business functions to support the team
- A positive approach to conducting assigned tasks and interactions with others
Applicants must possess:
- Strong self-motivation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work closely with others in a team environment.
- Willingness to develop new skill and change and adjust to an ever-changing work environment
Preference is given to candidates:
- Shown interest in F&S by supporting shutdowns or touring the unit.
- EMR and firefighting skills.
- Mechanical or technical aptitude.
- Familiarity with process equipment.
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative in previous assignments.
- Demonstrated willingness to have positive approach change.
- ATS or other formal troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with the existing electronic information and work management systems
Required qualifications include…
- High school diploma, GED
- Willing and able to work overtime
- Willing to work a compressed 12-hour shift (days and nights)
- Experience operating heavy equipment
- Experience using a computer for record keeping and documentation
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and constructively, as well as good verbal and written English skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Comprehension of work instructions and documentation as well as the ability to perform duties with little direction
- A proactive approach to troubleshooting/problem identification
- Able to perform physically demanding work
- Demonstrated safety leadership
- Mechanical aptitude
Preferred qualifications include…
- Fire Fighting certificate
- EMR Certificate
Contact us! If you are excited about this role, please send us your application with a statement below.