The HR Manager is a key Operational business partner, supporting the execution of Safely delivering quality Renewable Energy products on time to our customers. Provides HR leadership around Owning Safety, Culture, and Plant Operations while consistently living our Mission, Vision, and Values. Leads as an employee champion and change agent, assessing and anticipating HR needs in a hands-on and generalist role. Initial focus outside of Operational HR will be a laser focus on Growth Recruitment Projects as assigned by the Director of HR.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Operational HR – General
- Lead with the value of Owning Safety through every action and decision and through positive influence on all stakeholders.
- Provide Operational HR Leadership; Employee Relations, Recruitment & Staffing, Performance Management, Compensation & Benefits, Analytics & Process Improvements.
- Create and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders (Plant Management, Plant team members, Central Operations, Corporate, and Senior Management).
- Provides HR leadership to the Entwistle Site Management Team, always through the lens of our Values.
- Actively maintain an effective level of business literacy about Pinnacle’s business, our industry, culture, and competition.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to the day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Leads onsite employee relations, harassment or other required investigations. Documents and provides a report to Plant Leadership/Director of HR.
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to line management (e.g. coaching, counseling, career development, discipline).
- Support the Performance Management process, providing education, training, and support to ensure our leaders have the tools they need to foster a high performing team. Coach and support employees on the PM goals, processes, and timelines.
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Develop and administer programs, procedures, and/or guidelines to align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
- Implement and educate company-wide HR policies and procedures that drive strategy and monitor compliance of the internal policies and procedures as required.
- Provide HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- Participate in a regular review of current HR Policies for relevance, risk management, and scope and make recommendations for continuous improvement and evolution.
- Providing training resources throughout the organization as required to develop training programs and materials on target or focus areas, provide train the trainer or training sessions as required.
- Other projects to implement HR Strategy drive culture and maintain an amazing work environment as required
- Works with managers to effectively manage talent and create robust succession pools at all levels of the organization.
- Engages line management around talent as a strategic & scarce resource and a matter of critical accountability for line management.
- Empower and engage our line management in accountability towards spotting, developing and retaining talent who are able to execute our vision and strategy.
- Leads Campus Recruitment activities in Alberta.
- Ensures local relevance to all recruitment efforts across our diverse geography; develop a specific and targeted recruitment plan for each geographical region in which we operate.
- Champion Values through recruitment efforts. Screen candidates for cultural fit and technical expertise and participate in interviews when required; assist the hiring manager in making the best possible hiring decision.
- Provide interview and selection training and tools to minimize risk within the process and support the management team in selecting the best possible candidates.
- Negotiate packages, prepare employment offers, and conduct reference checks, complete pre-hire assessments, and any other required pre-hire work.
- Ensure 100% of new hires have a comprehensive onboarding program in place prior to day 1, working with the hiring manager.
- Champion and lead the completion of 30 & 90 days to check in from HR and Management.
- Continue to evolve the Onboarding process from feedback and reflection.
- Work with the management team to create/update job descriptions and maintain an up to date JD database for all roles at Pinnacle.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive HR Generalist experience, preferably in manufacturing in Alberta.
- Completed Diploma/Bachelors of Business, HR or related. CPHR designation an asset.
- Defined leadership around Owning Safety and what that means from the perspective of an HR Manager.
- Strong sense of urgency – anticipatory and committed to delivering beyond expectations safely, in scope, on time, every time.
- Pragmatic & principled; able to consider the human side while balancing Business Requirements.
- Stakeholder management focus – ability to quickly build relationships and show the HR value-add of HR at the plant level.
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions and geographies – a strong background in a multi-unit organization is beneficial.
- Experienced in leading onsite investigations and reporting around employee relations, harassment or other.
- Strong Business Acumen, effective business systems thinker and a passion to understand the manufacturing process.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong technical skills; Excel, PPT, Outlook, and experience working with an HRIS & ATS.
- Highly Skilled in execution and results orientation.
- Does not need all information to navigate effectively; can figure it out.
- Able to succeed in a changing environment is fluid and flexible.
- Able to course correct listens and is open to feedback.
- Demonstrates a hands-on attitude and an attention to detail.
- Passionate, willing to pitch in where needed, from the mundane through to the attractive HR work!
- Authentic, respectful-diplomatic-thoughtful – relationships and empathy are important.