Weyerhaeuser is seeking several highly motivated forestry students to join the Timberlands team in Grande Prairie, Alberta for the 2019 summer season (May to August).
Assist in the management of a 9+ million seedling planting program:
- Planting quality monitoring (ensure quality, safety, and production targets are met)
- Completion of Post Harvest Prescriptions
- Completion of quality audits on 4 year and Establishment surveys
- Aerial herbicide program monitoring (2-3 weeks of August; mandatory camp stay)
Harvest Operations/Planning Assistants
Assist in the management of a 1.7 million cubic meter harvest and haul program, including:
- Involvement in the leadership of contractor safety program implementation
- Environmental monitoring of roads and stream crossings
- Wood quality monitoring of sawlogs and pulpwood
- Layout Quality Control and assist Planning Foresters
Qualifications and Attributes
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a forestry or resource management related degree or diploma program.
Applicants must be based out of Grande Prairie, Alberta for the complete duration of the term.
Strong interpersonal skills are an asset with a proven ability to work as a team.
Our worksite is located north and south of Grande Prairie on Weyerhaeuser’s FMA. Some camp work may be required. Applicants should have the ability and willingness to work outdoors, in all weather conditions and terrain and having a valid Class 5 license with a clean driver’s abstract is essential. Operational field skills and familiarity with operating ATVs and 4WD trucks are an asset.
Grande Prairie’s location provides an opportunity to work for a major Forest Company while still enjoying the amenities of a larger center. Grande Prairie is a vibrant city of approximately 68,500 people and is located in northwestern Alberta. Temporary student housing is available through the Grande Prairie Regional College housing & residence services.