The Operations Team Leader is responsible for the overall Safety, production, and cost performance of the plant as well as managing a shift of hourly staff to carry out all production related activities. The Team leader will build and maintain a strong culture of teamwork and collaboration within the shift they manage (4 on, 4 off rotating shift schedule – 12-hour shifts).
Entwistle is Pinnacle’s newest growth project, in its initial phases of construction, and will produce its first pellets in January 2018. There are 4 Operations Team Leaders at this new plant, and we have recently begun the recruitment process for these exciting opportunities. Responsibilities of this role include:
- Actively participates in and leads the crew in the Owning Safety programs including the use of our Digital Action Tracking System to record safety conversations, observations, and training.
- Sets an example and provides leadership for Pinnacle’s Value of Owning Safety and the overall Safety program onsite.
- Participates in the 5 Why’s and Investigation process, finding the root cause and sharing actions and learning with the team.
- Ensures employees are properly and adequately trained with the appropriate documentation.
- Maintains Pinnacle’s high standards of housekeeping within the department and with the participation of all team members.
- Utilizes MSDS for all chemicals used in the production and ensures all employees are adequately trained on their use.
- Active involvement in Pinnacle Entwistle OH&S Committee.
Team and Leadership:
- Supervise employees through the Pellet manufacturing process, ensuring compliance to Safety, Production, Quality and operating policies and procedures.
- Support the Production Superintendent to recruit and onboard culturally aligned and technically strong Production hourly team members.
- Lead and document the proper training and safety of all new hires, New & young Workers program, Safety Indoctrination, Onboarding, Job Specific Training, etc.
- Provide technical training to direct reports on mobile equipment, safety, confined space, Hazard Identification etc.
- Conduct regular and documented performance reviews with all production employees.
- Complete administrative requirements including overseeing shift payroll, overtime sign-off, holiday request approval and any performance management required.
- Lead the first step disciplinary process where required including communication and documentation.
- Schedule all production employees in a manner that provides continuous coverage and meets the needs the employees
- Coordinate holiday planning to ensure continual coverage of necessary positions within the plant.
- Liaise with other Pinnacle management including HR, Safety, Training and Senior Executives.
- Manage the process and material flows of daily, weekly and monthly activities.
- Provide daily and weekly reporting through the work order system on key activities.
- Implement existing production plans and make adjustments as directed or as is necessary to produce products within the required specifications.
- Build quality into all aspects of work by maintaining compliance to all quality requirements, completing fines, bulk density and other testing daily.
- Develop and recommend improvements to facilities, equipment or procedures to improve overall safety, quality and efficiency at the Plant.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures for all Quality Systems.
- Monitor the quality of incoming raw materials as well as the finished products by reviewing testing data and constant interaction.
- Establish and support a work environment of continuous improvement that reinforces Pinnacle’s policies on Quality, Systems and the applicable regulations.
- Work with other Pinnacle management to identify significant environmental impacts of plant operations, establishing goals and targets around significant environmental impacts.
- Schedule and or perform calibrations for plant measuring instruments which include weight scales, moisture testing equipment and other equipment as is required.
Experience, Skills & Education Requirements:
- 3 years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 5 additional years working in an industry, in a manufacturing/industrial setting, preferably in Pellet or wood products manufacturing.
- Passion for the core Value of Owning Safety, proven experience incorporating this value into daily work activities.
- Completed high-school education; related post-secondary education an asset.
- Strong Leadership and effective people management skills.
- Experience in shift scheduling is an asset.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience (HMI, PLC troubleshooting an asset).
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others in a diverse environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with personal computers, including Excel and Outlook.