Pinnacle is looking for a people-oriented Operations Team Lead to join our Entwistle plant. Safety and people are our #1 priority. You would be working for a medium-sized company but at a very family-oriented plant. We are very proud of the environment and culture we have created here. So if honesty, trust, and empathy are values you live by then we would love to hear from you.
The Operations Team Leader is responsible for the overall Safety, production, and cost performance of the plant as well as managing a shift of hourly staff to carry out all production-related activities. The Team leader will build and maintain a strong culture of teamwork and collaboration within the team. This position will be reporting to the Operations Supervisor as well as the Plant Manager.
- Actively participates in and leads the crew in the Owning Safety programs including the use of our Digital Action Tracking System to record safety conversations, observations, and training.
- Sets an example and provides leadership for Pinnacle’s Value of Owning Safety and the overall Safety program onsite.
- Participates in the 5 Why’s and Investigation process, finding the root cause and sharing actions and learning with the team.
- Ensures employees are properly and adequately trained with the appropriate documentation.
- Maintains Pinnacle’s high standards of housekeeping within the department and with the participation of all team members.
- Utilizes MSDS for all chemicals used in the production and ensures all employees are adequately trained on their use.
- Active involvement in Pinnacle Entwistle OH&S Committee.
Team and Leadership:
- Supervise employees through the Pellet manufacturing process, ensuring compliance to Safety, Production, Quality and operating policies and procedures.
- Support the Production Superintendent to recruit and onboard culturally aligned and technically strong Production hourly team members.
- Lead and document the proper training and safety of all new hires, New & young Workers program, Safety Indoctrination, Onboarding, Job Specific Training, etc.
- Provide technical training to direct reports on mobile equipment, safety, confined space, Hazard Identification, etc.
- Conduct regular and documented performance reviews with all production employees.
- Complete administrative requirements including overseeing shift payroll, overtime sign-off, holiday request approval and any performance management required.
- Lead the first step disciplinary process where required including communication and documentation.
- Schedule all production employees in a manner that provides continuous coverage and meets the needs of the employees
- Coordinate holiday planning to ensure continual coverage of necessary positions within the plant.
- Liaise with other Pinnacle management including HR, Safety, Training and Senior Executives.
- Manage the process and material flows of daily, weekly and monthly activities.
- Provide daily and weekly reporting through the work order system on key activities.
- Implement existing production plans and make adjustments as directed or as is necessary to produce products within the required specifications.
- Build quality into all aspects of work by maintaining compliance to all quality requirements, completing fines, bulk density and other testing daily.
- Develop and recommend improvements to facilities, equipment or procedures to improve overall safety, quality and efficiency at the Plant.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures for all Quality Systems.
- Monitor the quality of incoming raw materials as well as the finished products by reviewing testing data and constant interaction.
- Establish and support a work environment of continuous improvement that reinforces Pinnacle’s policies on Quality, Systems and the applicable regulations.
- Work with other Pinnacle management to identify significant environmental impacts of plant operations, establishing goals and targets around significant environmental impacts.
- Schedule and or perform calibrations for plant measuring instruments which include weight scales, moisture testing equipment and other equipment as is required.
- Performs any additional duties as required and at the request of the Plant Manager.
Experience, Skills & Education Requirements:
- Three years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 5 additional years working in the industry, in a manufacturing/industrial setting, preferably in Pellet or wood products manufacturing.
- Completed high-school education; related post-secondary education an asset.
- Strong Leadership and effective people management skills.
- Experience in shift scheduling is an asset.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience (HMI, PLC troubleshooting an asset).
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others in a diverse environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with personal computers, including Excel and Outlook.
- Works with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and build a cohesive team on the floor.
- Ability to give direction and delegate, problem solve where required.
- Able to succeed in a changing environment and course-correct where required.
- Listens and is open to feedback.
- Demonstrates flexibility in a changing environment.
- Demonstrates a hands-on attitude and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates a willingness to pitch in wherever needed.
- Authentic, respectful, diplomatic, thoughtful.