Weyerhaeuser, Grande Prairie Lumber mill located in Grande Prairie, Alberta has an opening for an Operations Department Manager. The mill is part of the Canadian Wood Products Lumber Business.
Grande Prairie is situated four hours northwest of Edmonton, Alberta. It is the seventh largest city in the province with a population of just over 68,000 people. Grande Prairie is the “HUB” of the Peace Country enjoying a beautiful four season climate. Visitors alike enjoy a small-town atmosphere with year-round opportunities for recreation in and around the city.
Key Functions: This full-time, exempt position reports directly to the unit manager and will be responsible for the safe coordination and oversight of the daily activities in either the planer mill or the sawmill department. This position is a key member of the Grande Prairie leadership team. The successful candidate will be a safety role model with excellent team skills and a proven ability to lead and develop people in a non-union environment.
You will be dedicated to improving and maintaining department performance according to set objectives and established goals for safety, quality, process reliability, cost control, and people development.
You will provide leadership for process improvement, regular team meetings, and safety; facilitating proactive problem-solving at every opportunity.
- Demonstrated leadership results in safety.
- Demonstrated ability to raise performance by building and maintaining positive relationships with all associates through coaching, development and instilling a continuous improvement mindset.
- Able to effectively work across all organizations and create alignment and focus
- 5 years of successful manufacturing, maintenance, or operations leadership experience, preferably in a wood products environment.
- Demonstrated track record of success in a complex and fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability in leading a team to achieve breakthrough results.
- Ability to generate commitment and motivate employees toward a common goal.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge and ability in utilizing computers in a business environment is a must.
- Must be able to accept and respond to after-hours calls, work weekends/holidays as needed.
- Working knowledge of lumber business, financial and labor relations concepts.
- Demonstrated results in achieving and sustaining business goals.
- Ability to analyze and present data.
- Understand and work within the culture of the group.
- Education requirement calls for applicants to possess a degree to be considered for this position.
About Wood Products: We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.