The Sawmill, Kilns, and Planermill employ approximately 235 people. Annual Lumber production is approximately 300 million board feet of SPF dimension lumber. The mill has a history of continuous improvement and has undergone a major expansion in the Planermill. The Sawmill is currently undergoing a major retooling project of all machine centers, while the Batch Kilns are planned to be replaced with Continuous Kilns. Grande Prairie Lumber is highly valued by our customers for consistent quality and the mill has a reputation for outstanding customer service. The facility operates with a modern work system and our success is attributable to the skill and commitment of our employees. Weyerhaeuser’s Grande Prairie Lumber Mill has achieved world-class safety results.
The Position: This is a permanent/ full-time position reporting to the Grande Prairie Lumber Technical and Engineering Department Manager. Following an initial week-long safety orientation, there will be a short on-boarding period to help become familiar with the manufacturing environment. Once the initial onboarding is complete, the first multi-year assignment will focus on supporting the GP Lumber Sawmill Modernization and OpX (Operational Excellence) Project in the capacity as Process Control Engineer. Major project activity tasks are listed below:
- Overall responsibility for process control coordination and integration from scope and design, to installation and execution, to commissioning and start-up
- Support the project and construction manager by being the key point of contact for the process control portions of the project scope (programming & commissioning/start-up personnel).
- Manage PLC/HMI/Optimization programmers and act in part as system integrator – some coding will be required
- Lead ActivPlant (historian) Integration and Programming
- Lead SizeCheck (machine QC hardware/software) Integration and Programming
- All aspects of Project Management and Engineering in the Process Control Discipline including:
- Providing support, planning, development, budgeting, cost tracking, scheduling, material and labor procurement, project-related safety (toolbox meetings, permits, safe work plans, field audits, etc.), installation and execution, equipment testing and certifications, commissioning and startup
- Electrical & Control Team Reviews – including schedules, equipment, components, vendor manuals, documentation
- Lock-out planning and support for Operations/Maintenance including managing equipment numbers and labeling
- Change Management Processes and reviews with Leadership, Operations, and Maintenance teams
- Assist the development of the process control scope with the Technical Department Manager, and Project Managers
- Drawing Organization and Management for Internal/External Electrical/Controls Packages
- Including drawing updates and development (Visio/AutoCAD/Solidworks) and managing/assigning drawing numbers
- Drawing Reviews of all stages including For Review, For Approval, For Construction, and Final As-Built
- Cables Schedules and Interconnections Management
- IT related Equipment and Infrastructure including Network, Computer/Rack, Camera/DVR design
- Database designs
- Installation/Execution/Commissioning/Start-up of above designs
- Developing and delivering training on Process Control Systems and Software and/or organizing of outside/vendor providers
- Develop and manage vendor access to Process Control Systems along with QC and other Tech Department Engineers
- Work with suppliers during commissioning and start-up to ensure all systems perform as expected
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have the following attributes…
- A strong commitment to working safely and protecting the safety of others
- Work effectively within team settings in demanding environments
- Be a self-starter and quick learner with strong interpersonal and communication/documentation skills
- Required to be a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Technologist (RPT) in good standing
- Able to register and meet APEGA requirements immediately or hold current valid APEGA professional membership
- Hold an Engineering Degree or Technologist Diploma in one of the following disciplines (or the like/equivalent): electrical, electronics, automation, process controls, industrial
- Knowledge and experience in project and contractor management, industrial site safe work practices, industrial equipment theory and operations, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with automation and controls using AB/Rockwell PLCs, VFDs, and Motion including programming of PLCs and HMIs
Preference will be given to those with:
- Minimum 5 years of Electrical or Process Control related Engineering experience with a solid background and understanding of PLC/HMI systems in industrial plants
- Manufacturing Experience in a similar industry
- Experience with programming in Visual Studio would be an asset
- Experience with databases and systems (preferably Microsoft SQL and T-SQL)
- SAP experience (i.e. work management, procurement, cost tracking, PMs, BOMs, as related to projects)
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards relevant to Alberta
Key Attractions: Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer and has a history of over 100 years in the forest industry, always maintaining a reputation for high ethical standards. We offer…
- Competitive base salary
- benefits generous relocation packages
Location: The lumber mill site is located 12 km South of the city of Grande Prairie. Grande Prairie boasts a population of over 65,000 in the city proper and 90,000 in the city and county. It is 460 km North West of Edmonton and connected by a 4-lane highway. The air traveler is served by the Regional Airport which is serviced by both West Jet and Air Canada. Grande Prairie is the regional center for Northwestern Alberta and Northeastern British Columbia servicing a population of over 300,000 people. Grande Prairie is a young and active city with opportunities to experience a mix of urban, rural and wilderness recreations.
About Wood Products: We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.