As the successful candidate, your role will be that of Silviculture Forester and a member of the Grande Prairie Timberlands Team. You will lead in the implementation of various silviculture operations, as well as Growth and Yield Programs, and will gain exposure to various aspects of the Timberlands business through other members of the Timberlands team. This role and future assignments are intended to help you in developing forestry and business skills, broadening experience and ensuring ongoing challenge, interest, and contribution.
- Act as a safety role model both internally to Weyerhaeuser and with external contacts.
- Ensure a high level of safety and environmental training and performance is maintained in our contractor workforce, including conformance to the Grande Prairie Timberlands’ Contractor Safety Management System and our Environmental Management System.
- Develop plans for, and implement, silviculture operational activities in cooperation with other geographic team members. These will include developing site prescriptions, site preparation, stand tending, tree planting, cone collections, fuel management, road reclamation, and silviculture surveys.
- Assist with the implementation of the Growth & Yield program which includes but is not limited to, management of a permanent sample plot program, management of our Tree Improvement Program in concert with the Huallen Seed Orchard Company, regulatory compliance establishment and performance surveys, representing the company’s interests in the Western Boreal and Foothills growth and yield associations.
- Work with the Team Leader to ensure costs are understood, tracked, and actions are taken to meet or exceed plan expectations.
- Maintain good working relationships with government, stakeholders, customers, energy, and the public.
- B.Sc. in Forestry or Diploma in Forest Technology (or a related environmental field); or a comparable combination of education and experience
- Eligibility to apply for Alberta RPF or RPFT status would be considered a strong asset
- A minimum of 5 years experience related to aspects of this role
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License with experience driving on off-highway road systems and operating ATV’s would be an asset
- Safety and responsible environmental stewardship as core values
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities with a collaborative interpersonal approach
- A continuous improvement mentality to drive improvements in production, quality, and cost
- Strong organizational skills; a “systems” approach to planning and operations
- Strong results orientation and an ability to manage multiple priorities
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with team members and a diverse group of customers and stakeholders
- Comfort working with large data sets and/or forestry planning systems would be an asset
About Grande Prairie
The city of Grande Prairie, Alberta is a growing and vibrant community with a population of ~ 55,000 people located 4.5 hours northwest of Edmonton. More information about Grande Prairie’s resources and amenities can be found at www.cityofgp.com
We believe trees are a remarkable resource that can and should be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits. For more than a century, we’ve been taking care of forests to make life better.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.