What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities, and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
This position reports to the Electrical and Instrumentation Maintenance Team Leader in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. The Grande Prairie mill is a 1000+ tonne per day Northern Bleached Softwood Kraft pulp mill. It currently operates with approximately 320 mill employees in a high performance, results-oriented environment.
The Electrical Technician is responsible to safely assemble, install, test and maintain electrical or electronic wiring and equipment using hand tools and power tools. Diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components using test equipment and hand tools to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem. Inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects and need for adjustment or repair and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Participate in the safety, health, and environmental activities in accordance with standards established by the Grande Prairie Mill.
Maintain wiring and control equipment in process areas
- Maintain and optimize the performance of VFDs, PLCs, soft starts, MCCs, protection relays, and associated measuring and control devices.
Install new electrical equipment
- Install and commission distribution and control equipment as per engineered specifications in compliance with Canadian Electrical Code.
Work Systems Improvements
- Contribute to the improvement of safety and maintenance of technical standards, work instructions, and procedures, identifying and implementing changes as necessary.
- Strong Safety Commitment
- Quality Orientation and Standards Compliance
- Time Management – Planning and Organizing
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Decision Making and Judgment
- Team Work
Required qualifications include:
- High school diploma, GED, or trade school
- Willing and able to work shift, overtime, weekends, and on-call
- 5 years’ experience in industrial maintenance
- Experience in reading engineering drawings
- Experience in troubleshooting equipment issues with electrical and instrumentation
- Experience using a computer for record keeping and documentation
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and constructively, as well as good verbal and written English skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Comprehension of complex work instructions and documentation as well as the ability to perform duties with little direction
- Ability to travel internationally if required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Journeyperson Electrician
- 5 years’ experience as a fulltime Electrician journeyman technician