There is a Professional Development Candidate (PDC) opportunity available at the Drayton Valley, AB Lumber Mill. This is a full time, permanent salaried position. Relocation benefits are available for these positions. This role will report to the Mill Manager.
Working under close guidance with assigned mentors, this individual will be accountable for growing and strengthening their leadership abilities, technical skills and general business understanding of the manufacturing processes and operations of a Wood Products mill, and other major functional areas, through a detailed 12-month development plan including hands-on learning, operational rotations, and successful completion of process improvement projects.
The successful individual will be assigned to the next role once development is successfully completed and a suitable assignment is identified that meets business needs.
- Navigate an individualized, 12-month structured work plan offering rotational experiences spanning our entire manufacturing value stream (Safety, HR, Finance, Production, Maintenance, Timberlands, Sales, Raw Materials, Shipping, etc.)
- Develop safety leadership skills
- Learn and develop front line leadership skills
- Receive and provide active feedback
- Projects and assignments to promote active learning and contribute to the mill’s successful performance
- Provide individual contributions through exposure to metrics, reliability and process improvement projects
- Demonstrate your capacity to grow within the organization
- Following successful completion of the program, the PDC will ideally advance into alternative roles to meet company needs
- Must be graduating from a Bachelor’s degree program in business, wood science, forestry, engineering, science or related discipline
- Willingness to adapt to a strong safety culture and ensure the safe and efficient execution of work
- Ability to exercise good judgment in setting priorities and follow-through in a fast-paced results-oriented environment
- Strong desire to learn manufacturing processes, develop leadership capabilities and possess a desire to progress in the organization
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite and other windows based programs
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Capability to prioritize work activities, assignments and demands, and flexibility to adapt to changes
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to develop partnerships and collaborative teaming
- Courage to challenge the status quo and deliver results
- Excellent work ethic, strong time management, and organizational skills
- Willingness to relocate for this and potential future opportunities to enhance career development
Offers of employment will be conditional upon successful completion of a substance testing, background check, and agreement with general terms of employment. Upon submitting your application, you must specify other locations to which you are applying, or select “All”.
About Wood Products: We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us. Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.