Agriculture and Forestry
Alberta is a leader in the development and production of innovative forest products and is a supplier to a variety of markets around the globe. Lumber, pulp and newsprint, panel board and secondary manufactured products from the province are shipped to markets in Canada, the United States, Europe and the Asia Pacific. The Innovation & Market Diversification Section works with partners in industry, government and academia to expand the province”s reach into new and expanding markets for Alberta’s forest products.
As a strong forest industry advocate, the Forest Business Development and Competitiveness Specialist will work with primary forest and advanced forest product manufacturers as well as forest industry associations to increase domestic use of wood products, expand export market opportunities and promote innovation. The position will work to monitor International, National, and Domestic forest policy to identify Alberta’s competitive position, and advocate for positive competitive policies in Alberta, Canada, and Internationally. The position will provide leadership to cross ministry teams promoting national and international trade and coordinate trade missions. This position works to profile Alberta’s forest products and promote industry capabilities in priority markets.
The position must:
- Understand current Government structure, role and responsibilities, and key policies impacting the forest sector.
- Understand the status and make-up, and the potential of the forest sector of Alberta.
- Ensure alignment with companies and industry associations to ensure efficient, focused and coordinated marketing and innovation initiatives.
- Assess industry information needs and capabilities through individual consultations.
- Profile Alberta in international markets and interact with international contacts (often at a senior level) for the purpose of information gathering, opportunity identification and business matchmaking.
- Develop or update material for trade shows and missions (incoming and outgoing).
- Continually stays abreast of market information and intelligence to all the best opportunities for Alberta”s exporters.
Completion of a post-secondary University degree in Natural Resource Economics Finance, Marketing or other related field plus 4 years progressively responsible related experience. Equivalencies will be considered. Demonstrated experience with databases, analysis, marketing, design development, and/or web content development would be assets.
Click here for more information and to apply.