The Position: This position reports to the Maintenance Team in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. The Grande Prairie mill is a 1000+ tonne per day Northern Bleached Softwood Kraft pulp mill. It currently operates with approximately 320 mill employees in a high performance, results-oriented environment.
Key Functions: As a Millwright Apprentice you will be required to complete on the job training and related classroom instruction in which you will learn the practiced and theoretical aspects of this high skill trade for providing the necessary repair and preventative maintenance on all equipment.
- Participate in the safety, health, and environmental activities in accordance with standards established by the Grande Prairie Mill.
- Participate in a team environment while maintaining a high level of precision on a variety of equipment in all areas of the mill.
Perform Preventative Maintenance
- Perform Preventative maintenance work, complete work orders and PM routes as required by the area of responsibility.
- Ability to develop a preventative maintenance mindset vs a reactionary
- Actively participate in the RCFA process for the mill.
- Perform surveys of failure causes related to lubrication on equipment using technical knowledge and equipment history to identify solutions to eliminate problems;
Work Systems Improvements
- Contribute to the improvement and maintenance of technical standards, work instructions, and procedures, identifying and implementing changes as necessary.
- Quality Orientation and Standards Compliance
- Time Management – Planning and Organizing
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Decision Making and Judgment
- Team Work
Required qualifications include
- High school diploma, GED, the ability to pass the entry requirements for the millwright trade
- Willing and able to work overtime, weekends
- Able to work compressed work week
- Experience using a computer for record keeping and documentation
- Ability to communicate effectively and constructively, as well as good verbal and written English skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Comprehension of complex work instructions and documentation as well as the ability to perform duties with minimal direction
- Successful completion of each school year to progress through all 4 years in a timely manner.