West Fraser is a leading diversified North American forest products company that is listed on the TSX. Rated as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six years, we are a growing company looking for talented people to be part of our team. West Fraser believes strongly in promoting from within. We are looking for an individual interested in a long-term career with us. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, an outstanding pension plan, and relocation package.
Are you interested in working for a company that offers both a challenging work environment and a rewarding career path? The Woodlands Team at our Hinton Wood Products division has an opportunity for an:
Starting your career as an Assistant Forester provides you an opportunity to extend your knowledge in all aspects of the Woodland’s Team. You will have the opportunity to gain skills through assigned roles and responsibilities within the silviculture, planning, and operations teams, with an emphasis on gaining a wide range of practical experience in forestry. As an Assistant Forester within our division, you will play an integral role on the Woodlands team. Reporting to a Woods Superintendent, over time you will work in all areas of our woodlands operation. You will easily transition between the three disciplines; depending on workloads. You will enjoy a balanced mix of field and office work. There will be future opportunities for advancement as new skills are acquired and as opportunities become available throughout the many Woodland groups of West Fraser.
Responsibilities include a full range of forest planning activities:
- Silviculture: post-harvest assessments, site prescriptions, herbicide program
- Planning: block and road layout, watercourse crossing assessments
- Operations: log quality checks, environmental compliance assessments
- Timber reconnaissance
- Supervision of consultants
- Preparation and submission of cutting and permit applications
- Safety and environmental performance
- The successful candidate is required to be a graduate from a recognized forestry program
- Possess a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or Registered Professional Forest Technologist (RPFT) designation for Alberta (or be eligible and willing to earn this designation)
- Knowledge of AB forest legislation
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent oral, written and electronic communication skills
Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience in an industrial forest setting. The successful candidate should have a passion for the outdoors and be eager to learn new skills.
This position is based out of Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park and 2.5 hours west of Edmonton, Alberta. Set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, the Hinton/Edson Woodlands team supports sawmills in Hinton and Edson as well as a pulp mill in Hinton. The Hinton operation has been proudly practicing sustainable forest management for over 60 years on its local forest tenure. Hinton is a community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families.
If this position sounds like the career for you, submit your application at www.westfraser.com/jobs click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.