West Fraser is a leading North American forest products company. Our goals are straightforward – leadership through profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products. Listed on the TSX, West Fraser is a leading diversified North American forest products company. Recognized for the sixth time as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Employers for Recent Graduates, we continue to grow. Our Hinton Wood Products Division has an opportunity for a:
PLANER QUALITY CONTROL LEAD
At West Fraser, we’re committed to environmental excellence and workplace safety and focused on sustaining operating leadership through continued investments. Most of all, we count on our employees’ ideas, energy and enthusiasm to create success which supports our history of promoting from within. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an outstanding pension plan. Our employees can expect a challenging, stable, safe work environment with career development opportunities.
Reporting to the General Manager, strong interpersonal and communication skills coupled with the capacity to lead, ability to influence others, champion change, build relationships and foster open communication will be qualities essential in the successful candidate. This individual must be a result-oriented, “get it done” type of individual who can collaborate with other individuals and departments. They must have the ability to take initiative and look at projects with a return on investment mentality. The person must have a strong grasp of process concepts and be a team player in a multi-shift production environment.
- Cooperative management of the Planer Quality Program
- Analysis and communication of quality performance
- Identification and implementation of corrective actions as necessary
- Cost management and leadership in continuous process improvement
- Analytical support for operational and capital improvement strategies
- Technical support for mill personnel as necessary
- Demonstrated strong work ethic
- Working with all lumber yard personnel on drying and handling lumber
- Due to the nature and complexity of current optimization and controls technology, a solid grasp of electronics, computer, controls technology or the ability to quickly assimilate these technologies is a key asset
Our ideal candidate possesses:
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- Understanding of Statistical Process Control
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Solid troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment to facilitate and resolve issues
- A Degree, Diploma or equivalent in Wood Processing, Forestry, Engineering, Science or Manufacturing or optimization experience.
- A Lumber Grading Ticket is also considered an asset
This position is based out of Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park and 2.5 hours west of Edmonton, Alberta. Set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, the Hinton/Edson Woodlands team supports sawmills in Hinton and Edson as well as a pulp mill in Hinton. The Hinton operation has been proudly practicing sustainable forest management for over 60 years on its local forest tenure. Hinton is a community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families.
If this position sounds like the career for you, apply at www.westfraser.com/jobs and click on the green “apply now” at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.