West Fraser has an exciting and challenging career opportunity for a Resource Analyst to join our Alberta Woodlands Team. In this position, your job responsibilities will consist of the analysis of all levels of data within West Fraser’s corporate and divisional systems to provide guidance to staff at various scales of management from woodlands to the processing facilities. You will be on an aggressive training program to develop an understanding of our business, and government planning policies and standards.
Based out of Sundre, Alberta, as the Resource Analyst you will report to the Senior Resource Analyst.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete strategic level analyses to classify land bases, project timber yields, develop timber harvest schedules and assess the impacts on non-timber values in the development of Forest Management Plans.
- Develop and execute forest mensuration programs, including sampling design, data collection, storage, compilation, and reporting.
- Generate forest growth and yield forecasts using combinations of empirical and model-derived methods.
- Inventory quantification in support of company operational and tactical planning.
- Work with, and provide analytical support to, divisional staff and West Fraser’s team of Resource and GIS Analysts.
- Represent the company on external committees related to your job responsibilities.
Desired Qualifications and Qualities:
- Strong understanding of statistics, sample design, and data compilation methods.
- Working knowledge of the Remsoft Spatial Planning System and Alberta Vegetation Inventory data.
- Proven skills in the analysis of spatial data in an ESRI environment.
- Excellent computer scripting skills in various languages (SQL Server, Oracle, VBA, Python, SAS).
- Ability to develop efficient database management systems on various platforms (SQL Server, Oracle, MS Access) for data storage, retrieval, compilation.
- Understanding of the Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard, Regeneration Surveys of Alberta and other relevant Alberta polices that guide resource analysis.
- Ability to work independently while achieving broader team objectives and clearly communicate complex technical issues and analyses.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and work requirements as needed.
- Collaborate well within a team environment.
- Professional designation with the AAFMP, or be eligible and willing to earn this designation.
At West Fraser, we believe in giving our employees a challenge they can rise to. We are looking for individuals who are interested in career advancement for progression through various aspects of our business. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an outstanding pension plan.
If this position sounds like the career for you, apply in confidence with a resume, including references, and cover letter at www.westfraser.com/jobs and click on the green “apply now” at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.