Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career, you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Forest Ecologist in the Woodlands Department. The Forest Ecologist position is responsible for providing leadership and support to the Woodlands Department through the development and application of responsible land stewardship and coordination and application of relevant research.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Represent, lead and/or coordinate research on ecosystem-based management, land-use, biodiversity, and sensitive landscapes on behalf of MPR.Present land-use and management issues and solutions to a wide range of people (committees, media, and public forums).
- Provide leadership on initiatives having both direct and indirect impacts on environmental stewardship.
- Manage policies related to biodiversity stewardship including developing and implementing sustainable complementary financing options.
- Effective communication and training of staff, contractors and the public of MPR’s ecosystem-based management and land stewardship philosophy.
- Identification of knowledge gaps and development of strategies to mitigate them.
- Additional duties, as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in forestry, environment, or other related fields with 3-5 years of experience working within the forest sector.
- Registered as a Registered Professional Forester or Registered Professional Forestry Technologist, or ability to do so within 12 months will be considered an asset.
- Strong project planning and time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent presentation skills with the ability to engage audiences.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite will be considered an asset.
- Must possess a valid Alberta Class 5 Operators license.