Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career, you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Forester in Training in the Woodlands Department. The Forester in Training position is responsible for providing assistance to the Woodlands department in the development of harvesting, Silviculture, and forest management plans. The term of this position will be until December 31, 2019, with the opportunity for extension.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Complete environmental health and safety inspections and reports.
- Supervise and monitor the quality control of Silviculture contractors in site preparation, planting, and tending programs.
- Complete weed inspections, seed collection, post-harvest assessments, and various growth & yield related measurements.
- Responsible for data entry, test site maintenance, harvest block updates and other test site administrative duties.
- Complete harvest block planning and layout.
- Additional duties, as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary education, diploma or degree, in forestry-related studies.Member or eligible to become a member of the Association of Alberta Forest Management Professionals (AAFMP)
- Ability to operate ATV’s, snowmobiles, 4×4 vehicles, etc. in a safe manner.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work
- Experience working with current computer systems (GIS, GPS, and Microsoft Office applications) will be considered an asset.
- Experience in integrated operations and supervision will be considered an asset.
- Ability to work outdoors in various climates.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and work as part of a team and independently.