West Fraser is a leading forest products company in North America. Our goals are straightforward – leadership through profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products.
Our Hinton Pulp Division is seeking an individual with strong technical, leadership, and interpersonal skills to fill the following position:
TECHNICAL & ENGINEERING MANAGER
Reporting to the Mill Manager, this position is responsible for managing 4 distinct groups within the mill: Project and Maintenance Engineering; Process Engineering; Product Quality and Customer Relations; Environmental both as independent groups and as one team that supports the mill’s short and long-term goals; ensuring that the mill is properly supported by the Technical & Engineering department without impacting long-term planning; providing direction to the direct reports as to priorities short and long term; ensuring high standards on all stakeholder submissions such as requests for capital; non-conformance reports to customers and reports to various jurisdictional authorities; and develop the framework for career development within the department through job descriptions, training plans, and succession plans.
- Provide leadership, direction, professional development guidance, coaching and support for the engineering department staff
- Provide leadership and support for the process engineering and environmental department as required
- Coordinate and manage annual capital plan ensuring the capital process is followed and champion the project delivery process
- Ensure department and mill-wide systems are in place and followed to meet all regulatory requirements.
- Develop and implement departmental procedures targeting improved results (execute projects on schedule & budget, maintain scope, meet or exceed project performance and ROI expectations)
- Acts as a technical resource for the mill on process safety including exposure to dangerous chemicals, Process Hazard Analysis, Confined Space hazard assessment, and contractor management.
- Improve workplace safety through policy promotion and adherence, housekeeping efforts, overseeing employee training, and monitoring leading indicators
- Acts as a member of the mill’s lead team; attend meetings focused on the recent past and the immediate future.
- Develop and manage the Engineering and Environmental department’s annual operating budget
- Develop an environment where employees can succeed, and key positions have succession plans
- Drive the culture of reliability using our business systems and ensuring focus and follow-through
The successful candidate must possess:
- 5-10 years of leadership experience in a production environment (preferably in pulp and paper)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- A solid mechanical understanding and aptitude
- A strong background and proven success in project management is a key asset
- A foundation in maintenance and reliability best practices
- An understanding of budgeting, capital, and major maintenance expenditure processes
- Be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form with all levels of the organization
- Embody the West Fraser traits of Integrity, Respect, Humility, Hard Work, and Frugality
Our employees drive our success. We believe in providing opportunities for growth and advancement and are looking for someone who wants to build their career in our company. In addition to competitive wages and benefits, Hinton Pulp offers a stable, rewarding career. Hinton Pulp also offers an attractive relocation package.
We are located in Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park, and 2½ hours west of Edmonton. Hinton, set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, is a modern community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families.
Our region is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, with exciting activities from skiing, snowmobiling, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and ATV’s. Hinton features a full-service acute care hospital, major retail and restaurant chains, community parks and pools, educational institutions for pre-school through post-secondary.
Interested applicants should apply online by sending their resume, cover letter, and transcripts/proof of qualifications in confidence. To apply, click on our job ad at www.westfraser.com/jobs and then click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries, please.