Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while managing a sustainable forest. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career, you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
Mercer Peace River has an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to fill the full time, temporary position of Electrical and Instrumentation Apprentice. In this role, the E&I Apprentice will be responsible for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of electrical and instrumentation equipment.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Maintain equipment integrity and perform safe and efficient maintenance of all electrical, instrumentation and control systems in accordance with established procedures.
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of equipment.
- Support department targets on production, safety and maintenance.
- Manage and work with the Honeywell system.
- Execution and communication of daily electrical/instrumentation maintenance activities.
- Respond quickly and effectively as requested to problems/breakdowns.
- Gather data in support of equipment condition monitoring.
- Help plan and estimate, efficient and cost-effective execution of jobs while minimizing the impact on operations and incurred costs.
- Actively participate in post-event failure analysis and root cause discussions, and contribute to developing solutions.
- Ensure that preventative maintenance guidelines are adhered to and maintain complete and accurate records associated with the technical and preventative aspects of this position.
- Review and apply continuous improvement to safe work practices, procedures, and standards.
- Operational shift work as required with scheduled and short notice overtime—paid at double the rate.
- Additional duties as required
Qualifications and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Strong technical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret equipment specifications, engineering drawings, blueprints, charts, and tables as required.
- Mechanical aptitude with strong troubleshooting skills.
- Proven safety-conscious individual with the ability to work in a physically demanding environment.
- Pulp mill and industrial maintenance experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Honeywell systems and a computerized maintenance management system, specifically Avantis is considered an asset.
- Overtime may be required.
- Shift work may be required.
- Minimum experience: 0 to 1 year
- Minimum educational level: Grade 12 or Equivalent
- Driver’s license