Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career, you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Mechanical Designer in the Maintenance & Engineering Department. The Mechanical Designer provides support to Engineers, Maintenance, and Operations by completing engineering mechanical design and maintaining of site engineering records.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Produce and update design documents, piping isometrics, general layouts, schematics, and process control diagrams.
- Design and detail new components based on engineering instructions, manufacturer’s requirements, regulatory requirements, codes and standards, and best practices.
- Create, maintain and review engineering changes to equipment and design.
- Contribute to the Engineering departments document maintenance and organization.
- Gather information for new designs and retrieve information on previous designs.
- Perform mathematical calculations and analysis using standards and technical specifications.
- Draft technical details including bill of materials, as well as assembly instructions and comments.
- Design and detail fabrication drawings for new designs.
- Provide conceptual designs to support capital planning. Resolve and consult with others to correct design problems between manufacturing and engineering.
- Develops emergency repair procedures on equipment.
- Additional duties, as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Post-secondary education in Mechanical Engineering or related field, with a minimum of 2 years experience in Mechanical or related industrial design.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate and follow complex instructions.
- Experience using formal project management methodology.
- Knowledge of various construction and fabrication codes, standards and practices.
- Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks within a team environment.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills including the ability to establish and maintain a high level of trust and confidence with key stakeholders.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, Autocad, and Solidworks.
- Minimum experience: 1 to 2 years
- Minimum educational level: Certificate/Diploma from a College or CEGEP