Alberta Newsprint Company offers a total of $4000.00 per year in scholarships for high school students graduating in the Whitecourt area. The following are offered:
- $750.00 – St. Joseph School
- $750.00 – Hill Top School
- $750.00 – Mayerthorpe
- $750.00 – Fox Creek
- $1,000.00 – Open, any of the above schools or a home study student
A minimum of 2 applicants per school must be received. If not, a second overall recipient will receive scholarship dollars in the amount of $750.00.
ANC and its employees wish to support the broad needs of our community for trained, skilled and educated people to fill employment and community service roles in the future.
Our hope is that scholarship assistance will be encouragement for local students to pursue a post secondary education at an accredited college, university, technical school or vocational institution.
Graduating students who have not reached the age of twenty-five at the time of application are eligible to apply.
Applications must be mailed annually on or before May 1st to:
Alberta Newsprint Company
Postal Bag 9000
Whitecourt, Alberta T7S 1P9
The application should contain the following information:
- A covering letter, which would include an outline of the applicants, career objectives and how they support the intended purpose of the scholarship.
- An attached letter of recommendation from a staff member of the participants school. This recommendation can be made on the basis of financial need, work ethic, community involvement or academic standing.
- An attached letter of recommendation by a peer in the school or the community. This recommendation can be made on the basis of character, citizenship or participation in community activities.
- An attached short essay on a topic chosen annually.
ANC wishes to have a selection committee representative of the company, the schools and the community at large.
The selection committee is composed of a representative from the schools, a representative from the Municipal District of Woodlands and two employees or employee’s spouses appointed by ANC.
The selection committee will review the applications, confirm eligibility and award the scholarship prior to June 30th of each year.
CO-ORDINATION OF ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIVITIES
All inquires should be directed to ANC’s Personnel Services Coordinator who will be responsible for receipt of applications, distribution applications to the committee and who will provide notification to the successful applicant.
- This scholarship must be used to pursue post-secondary education in Canada. Scholarships will be paid directly to the Post Secondary Institution.
- Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies. Cash will not be paid to the student.
- The scholarship stipend will be sent to the post-secondary in the first year, but need not be totally used in that year. The student and the school must decide distribution of the scholarship monies.
- The recipient of this scholarship may accept other awards.
A scholarship recipient who fails to enroll in a post secondary institute in the academic year of his or her award will have one (1) year from receiving award to enroll if requiring high school upgrading. A scholarship recipient who fails to enroll in a post secondary institute in the academic year of his or her award will normally forfeit the scholarship. One who withdraws from a post-secondary institute and does not transfer to another accredited institution will normally forfeit the unused portion of the award.
- Available to students in the Whitecourt area